When people have a cold, they seem to feel that it is still ok for them to come to work. This is because everyone else sees other people coming to work with a cold, then think they too had better go to work with a cold cos it is 'only a cold', and if I miss work cos I only have a cold, then I am being unfair to those people who go to work and soldier on.
But it really iritates me, cos inevitably I end up getting a cold too and seriously if we all just stay at home, we wouldn't spread our germs. Or maybe if the culture of wearing face masks could begin so that we all just remain in our own germ free little bubbles.
It seems to be more prevalent in the industries where I work, which is teaching and coaching, because children are told by their parents to come along even though they are sick, or because it is 'bad to miss a training session' or bad to miss school - and kids are worse at not spreading their germs than adults. And, I admit, I have gone to work with a cold because it is easier than trying to find someone else who can coach my kids or teach my class or whatever. So there I am, spreading my germs! I am positive that if I worked in an office or something I would probably just stay home. But having never worked in an office, I wouldn't know if people turn up sick or not!
When I photographed new born babies at hospitals, I had no choice to stay home when I had even just the slightest sniffle, because I couldnt go any where near the babies in case I made them sick. Surely the same rule should apply to schools etc where germs spread like wildfire...
What a bizarre culture we have.
No comments:
Post a Comment